For Your Safety: SB 183 Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act

On May 7, 2010, law SB 183 was passed by State of California. What is SB 183 and how does affect you? SB 183- is also known as the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010. Here is a summary of how it will affect homeowners who are going to put their home on the market and future homeowners:

  • Under California Law, carbon monoxide detectors must be installed on all single-family units intended for human occupancy on or before July 1, 2011. The State Fire Marshall must approve these devices before they are put on the market for retail or installed. Failure to install these devices can cost you a maximum of $200 per offense. However, the property owner will have 30 days to correct the infractions before the fines are imposed. This bill also requires that landlords or property managers of multi-unit dwellings intended for human occupancy: to install, repair, maintain or test any existing carbon monoxide detectors.
  • Therefore, carbon monoxide detectors not approved by the California State Marshall will not be allowed to be brought to market which at first can lead to higher prices for the Marshall-approved devices. Whether this happens or not remains to be seen but any time something is mandated by the state to modified the costs is passed onto the consumers. Example: cleaner burning gasoline.
  • Whenever a home has appliances that require fossil fuels to generate any type of energy such as: gas burning fireplaces, heaters, stoves, dryers and any other appliance the homeowner must install carbon monoxide detectors. If you fail to do so it will prevent you from trying t sell your home.

Where to and not to place Carbon Monoxide Detectors:

  • Do not place devices in any humid areas or spaces “bathrooms, kitchens”
  • Do place devices 10-15 feet of all bedrooms
  • Do not place devices in utility rooms “laundry room, etc…” but do place outside

Every year, the rate of deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning seems to be on the rise or the news media is making us more aware of it. Whatever the case is, it’s important to take measures so your family is safe while they sleep. Since as we have heard before carbon monoxide is the silent killer. You go to sleep and never wake up, it’s always better to be safe them sorry. Ultimately it might be costly depending on the amount you will need to purchase. Although the cost per device can range anywhere between $15 to $100. There are also monitoring services that will alert you whenever there is a carbon monoxide leak. Ultimately this law my seem harsh to abide by but in this case lives can and will be saved.

However, the State of California implemented this law for dwellings intended for human occupancy, only. Which leaves most of us to wonder: How come this law doesn’t apply to government institutions? As always our state passes laws for the residents to abide by but they get to take a pass on it. This should be a universal law that includes government as well as residents.

Whether we agree with this law or not it’s too late to do anything about it now. All we can is comply with it or risk not being able to put your home on the market or a $200 fine per infraction. Don’t delay act now since this law took effect on July 1, 2011! Lastly, once you have installed your carbon monoxide detectors, don’t forget to change the batteries every six months or they are worthless.

If you have additional questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please feel free to Contact Us or call 858-382-3607.

Comments are closed.